Getting the right dog training collar is key for having success with your dog. There are tons of them available, but most offer different features making it hard to pick the right one for you and your dog.
This Educator Dog Training Collar review will provide you with information about the features to help you decide if this is the right E-collar for you. I have reviewed many dog training collars in the past, and this one does offer a few items that I haven’t seen before.
Educator ET-400 Dog Training Collar
This dog training collar is made by E-collar Technologies, Inc. They use a patented “blunt” stimulation, as opposed to “sharp pulse” like regular dog shock collars, making it the most humane dog training collar available. This medical grade stimulation provides minimum stress for dogs, but gives enough incentive for your dog to obey your commands.
It uses a form of stimulus that targets the neck muscles that is similar to what a correction from their mother would feel like when they are puppies.
It comes with a dog training clicker, which allows you to include positive reinforcement with your training. Positive reinforcement training doesn’t require a lot of experience in dog training. It will condition your dog to the sound of the clicker, which will give you better response to the remote trainer. Eventually, the clicker or positive reinforcement should be all you need.
It helps teach your dog new behaviors and deal with bad habits. Your end goal should be to get to a point of not having to rely on the training collar as much in time, but rather have a trained dog.
E-collars are designed to get your dog’s attention, not as a form of punishment. It should be used in combination with positive reinforcement.
It can be used on dogs weighing 5 pounds or more with a neck size between 6″ and 30″. The collar is biothane and can be cut to size.
If you are in need of a collar for 2 dogs, the Educator ET-402 has got you covered.
Features Of Educator ET-400
The Educator ET-400 Dog Training Collar has numerous features. I am going the list the special features that I don’t usually find on training collars in the next section so they are highlighted for you.
- Fully waterproof collar and remote control
- 100 levels of static stimulation, plus tone and vibration only modes, momentary and continuous
- Both units have built-in rechargeable batteries
- Shock resistant
- 3/4 mile range
- Assembled and tested in the United States. They are the only E collar manufacturer based in the United States.
- 2 year warranty
- Blinking red light when recharging is required, green light when on, red solid light when giving correction.
- Fully charged in approximately 2 hours – many customers have commented that the charge will last several days or up to a week.
- Tone stimulation – after 1 to 2 seconds of tone, the collar will send stimulation for as long as the button is pressed for up to 10 seconds. Most dogs will learn to only need the tone to correct behavior as they understand how it works.
Special Features Of Educator ET-400
Like I mentioned before, I have reviewed and looked at many different dog training collars, and none of them have offered the following features. Several of these I believe are really great features.
- Remote control floats in the water
- Lost transmitter beeper. Beeper feature is turned on remotely to locate the receiver. When dogs are running around, it can be real frustrating and expensive when they come back missing their receiver, but it can happen if they catch it on a branch or something.
- LED light on the receiver collar. This feature is great when you take your dog out at night. Using the transmitter, you can turn on the LED light to locate your dog at night. The tracking light can be set to flashing or solid light and if you need the 2 dog system, you can set it different for each dog.
- Tapping sensation. This is an alternative to stimulation. It gives your dog a vibration similar to a cell phone. Just enough to get their attention.
- Stimulation boosting mode. This is used only when normal stimulation is ignored. Works great for emergency situations. Easy to use without having to change your normal settings.
- Unique lock and set feature, which reduces the chance of the stimulation levels changing by accident.
What’s In The Box
This is what is included with your purchase.
- 1 waterproof miniature collar receiver
- 1 waterproof miniature floating remote
- 2 sets of contact point (5/8″ and 3/4″) – different sizes used for different fur lengths
- One 3/4″ x 30″ biothane collar that can be cut to size
- Contact point removal tool
- Dual battery charger
- Owner’s manual with training tips
- Lanyard for the remote
- PetsTEK Training Clicker and whistle
Additional Information On Dog Training Collar
It is not advised that your dog wear their training collar for more than 12 hours per day. The contact points can cause irritation with prolonged wear.
When setting up your Educator collar for the correct stimulation level that works for your dog, start at zero stimulation. Slowly turn the stimulation up at a rate of approximately 2 to 3 levels per second. When your dog first perceives the stimulation, usually between 5 and 20, release the button. This will be your conditioning stimulation level.
Review Of The Educator Dog Training Collar
I hope that this Educator Dog Training Collar Review provides you with the information you need to make an informed decision if this is the best dog training collar for you. I do believe that it is a quality product at a fair price. I am happy to see that finally someone is offering something different from everyone else.
The special features that the Educator XT-400 provide are features that I am surprised someone else is doing. I love that is comes with a LED light on the receiver collar and also the lost receiver feature.
Of the consumers who have purchased this product, it receives great reviews. It receives a 4.8 out of 5 stars, with 88% of the consumers giving it a 5 star rating. No one rated it 1 star or 3 stars, and only 1 customer gave it 2 stars, but gave no reason for that rating.
You can read all the reviews here if you are interested. If you are unsure, take a look at the Sportdog Field Trainer 425X review. It might help you to compare the 2, since some of their features are similar.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below and I will get back with you. You can follow justforyourdog.com on Pinterest, FaceBook or Twitter for all the latest updates on dogs.
Some of the links within this post are affiliate links of which I might receive a small compensation from sales of certain items.